Thursday, January 21, 2010

Does it matter if the brides name comes before the grooms on a couples wedding invitation?

I put my fiance's name first on about 10 invites, then began noticing brides seemed to be first in others...left me feeling like maybe it should be changed. I also don't want to use the word reception on my invites...is ';celebration to follow'; acceptable?Does it matter if the brides name comes before the grooms on a couples wedding invitation?
I doesn't matter.Does it matter if the brides name comes before the grooms on a couples wedding invitation?
Just make sure the groom doesn't come first on the honeymoon.
it doesnt make a difference
Both of those are acceptable. You should write your name first. and the celebration to follow sounds perfect, it will make the guests feel more welcomed. :) and CONGRATULATIONS!
The bride's name went first because the bride's parents traditionally were the hosts, so they put their daughter first on the invitation.





Nowadays? Doesn't matter in the least.
Hi, Lizzy.


Congratulations!!!! What an exciting time in your life.


Traditionally, the brides name always comes first. It is your wedding so do what makes it feel right.





Celebration to Follow is great. I love it!!





Something you may want to think about is the following. When the minister or Dj introduce the Bride and Groom for the first time they will say something like ';Introducing Mr. and Mrs. John Smith'; it saddens me because it feels like the bride has lost her identity. I would prefer


';Mr. John and Mrs. Courtney Smith'; just my 2 cents.


God bless and good luck,


ruthie
Hi,





hope this helps:
it is standard for brides name to come first. and here is why. traditionally invites were written as follows


mr and mrs. jimmy would like to invite you to the wedding of their daughter so-and-so Jimmy


to


groom


son of


grooms parents.


this was to show that the parents were throwing the party, and paying for it. now i think it's fine to do it however you want, esspecially depending on financail contributions it's not biggie to have anyones name first. and as for celebration vs reception, my only question would be does it mean the same thing. some guests may question if that means there is still a meal, and dance etc. perhaps the wording is changed because there is no reception, if not i think it may be nice to give specifics (ie open bar, or dinner and dance to follow. etc)
Here in the Philippines, the name of the groom usually comes first. So I guess it's ok
First, it usually is the woman's name first. ';celebration to follow'; or ';party to follow'; is acceptable. this is your wedding day, make it about you.
I never thought it mattered and when I was designing mock up Save the Dates I put my fiance's name first. When I showed my mother, she freaked out!! According to her, the person who is paying goes first i.e if brides parents host, her name goes first. Personally, I don't get what the big deal is. However, I did put my name first on everything to avoid any criticism from my side of the family. Go with whatever you want! It's your day. If you are set on following proper ';wedding etiquette'; the bride comes first.
Does it really matter who's name goes first? It both of your wedding. Celebration to follow is acceptable but you should put the place where it will be held at.
Traditionally the bride's name goes first. But it's your wedding, and you should do it how you like. Think that everyone will eventually throw it away and have no remembrance of the grammar you used on your invitation.
I've always noticed that the brides name is first on invitations. and I think celebration to follow is good.
bacheloretteplanners.com

No comments:

Post a Comment