Saturday, January 23, 2010

Has anyone ever attended couples counseling?

Me and my boyfriend of 3 and a half years have been having numerous problems lately. I'm beginning to think he is a compulsive liar because he has told me lots of HUGE lies, and because of this I find it very hard to trust him and allow myself to be close to him. He admits that he has a problem and would be willing to go to couples counseling if I'd like to do that.





Has anyone ever tried this? What was it like? Did it improve your relationship? Did the therapist speak to you together or did he/she speak to you separately? Anything else I should know?Has anyone ever attended couples counseling?
I was a relationship counselor for several decades. I long since retired from that. However, I can tell you that your relationship the way you describe it could benefit from some sessions together. Not all such counselors work the same way, so don't begin to expect things just because people here say they happen that way.





Is he a compulsive liar, in the sense that he CANNOT NOT lie? Or does he tell whoppers to get some kind of pay-off? They are not the same things. You say that you can't trust him, and he says he knows he has a problem and is willing to work on it with a counselor. That sounds promising.





However, one or both partners lying to each other is NOT a good sign. I'd want to know what the lies were, what made them HUGE (as you say) and what he expected to get out of telling them.





All I can say is to give it a try. Despite what one answer says, it usually helps to discuss your couple problems with a stranger...however, a stranger with a lot of training and counseling ability. Best wishes to you . . . -- Dr. BobHas anyone ever attended couples counseling?
I used to do some couples counseling. Usually the therapist speaks to each person seperately, and together. Telling big lies is bad red flag though. Be thankful you aren't married to him. It is your choice whether you feel it is worth it to go to couples counseling. But a therapist can't fix people or a relationship that really is not ever going to be healthy. It takes two and not all relationships are meant to be.
It does not work. if you cannot work it out on your own or with the help of friends and family what makes you think paying a stranger to arbitrate the situation will do any better? I tried it once and it did not help at all.
my names is jamespowelson





the problem with both of you is


you keep lieing to yourself. or misleading yourself


like attracts like.





there lots of myth and nonsense with your lifes belief and this furballs into fights.


truthful inteligent living will help you and you will attract a person of like mind





jamespowelson good to see everyone finding me on yahoo search IQH is helping everyone
  • zits
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment