Sunday, January 17, 2010

Do you think that married couples should combine their incomes?

No matter how much each makes?? Why or why not?Do you think that married couples should combine their incomes?
It has been said by the ';experts';, that there are three things most couples fight about: 1) Money, 2) religion, and 3) how to raise the kids.


That being said, you can at least eliminate ONE of those three by maintaining THREE bank accounts: YOURS, HIS, and the HOUSEHOLD. Both of you should contribute a fair percentage of your income to the household account. Not a dollar amount, but a percentage. Then, it doesn't matter who makes more money each week, the percentage will make it fair for both. This Household account will be used to cover ALL living expenses, including maintenance %26amp; upkeep, untilities, groceries, etc. Then you both have your own separate accounts to do with as you please. This can %26amp; does prevent any squabbling over who spends how much %26amp; on what. If you want that ridiculously overpriced pair of stilletto heels, it's YOUR money! Go buy 'em. By the same token, if HE wants to blow $200.00 or more on a new gadget for his boat, YOU can't whine about it, since it is HIS money.


This 3 bank accounts deal is the ONLY way to go, but you BOTH have to agree to it, and you BOTH have to religiously contribute your fair share EVERY payday. Neither one of you can skip a week 'cause you want to buy something %26amp; need the $$. The household account comes first! If you don't have enough $$ for that new whatever, then you just have to wait until your next payday. OR, borrow it from your spouse. If a loan is setup......terms MUST be met %26amp; strictly adhered to. I have personally experienced what I'm telling you %26amp; I know how wonderfully it works when both parties involved agree to it. Good luck!Do you think that married couples should combine their incomes?
I think each couple should do whatever works best for them. There's no one ';right'; way to handle the finances, and a solution that works great for one couple won't work for someone else. It works for my husband and I to combine our finances, yet my best friend and her husband have had separate finances throughout their marriage, and they've been married for over 25 years. Whatever works.
I think it is good to combine a certain percentage of each of your salaries into a joint account to cover bills, mortgage etc and the rest you keep in your own separate accounts. This way you are each paying an equal amount into the necessities of the house and living expenses however you get to keep your own independence and it will stop any rows regarding who paid for what.
If it suits them. But, with my husband and I, we have a joint account for bills which a percentage (the bulk) of our pay goes into, and our individual checking accounts. Any household expense, regardless what it is, is paid for from the joint account. Everything else, is handled individually.





We do this because neither one of us appreciates the idea of working for nothing. Fully combining our incomes will prevent me from seeing what I work for and I don't want- after bills are paid- to have to borrow money or be broke because he spent money on something that I can't either use or benefit from in any way. He feels the exact same way.





However, when he was a stay at home dad with no income, he had full access to my checking/saving account so our money was somewhat blended.
Yes and no. My DH and I each have our own accounts as well as a joint account. We also have access to eachother's personal accounts. It's easier to pay for all our bills and mortgage from one account but we also have our own accounts to do what we want so we don't feel restricted. Granted that may change as our relationship progresses. But this method seems to be working for us right now.
Personally, yes. I'm not a roomate. We both work hard for our money, it is combined. We agree on major purchases, but the little stuff isn't worth caring about.


That said, we both helped each other get where we are. If we had married later when we were both established, I might feel differently.
I think every married couple should have three accounts.


His account,her account, and a joint account.


There should be an percentage of both parties incomes deposited into the joint account monthly to cover bills and the rest is theirs.
As in joint bank accounts? No.





But the reality is that when you marry everything belongs to both of you. I'm not sure why the person earning more wouldn't want thier spouse/family to also benefit from their income.
of course..when you get married you commit yourself..and everything both of you have..there is no more mine an yours..you share everything..not just the bathroom sink :) i work full time an my wife works part time and goes to school..but our money is OUR money..
I have put virtually all of the money I have ever made into our joint account.


I was actually pretty hurt when my wife got her own account when she started working.


I guess she never considered the joint account 'ours' she thought of it as 'mine'.
Personally, yes.


I think however that married couples should live within the dynamics of their own relationship which may differ from my personal beliefs.
NO. Two bad experiences with this. We keep it separate and each contribute to the bills. This gives us each our security plus a bit of freedom and sometimes there are some things I don't want to know he's spent money on.
only to a certain degree. I believe that both should put in for things like the house and bills and such. I also believe both should have their own savings account.
we do both, we have a joint account for all our bills and such and then we each have separate personal accounts, we both are open about them its not like we are hiding anything but if we want to buy something we didnt budget for we can
We combine ours. Mine plus the zero she makes for sitting on the couch, watching Oprah and eating bon-bons. Then we pay all the bills and she gets what's left over.
yes, because that the way it should be since you said ';i do';. In special cases they don't because of tax purposes and/or business reason.
No. You shouldn't lose yourself simply because you got married.
Yes.





Half of your income legally belongs to your spouse anyway.
I wouldn't have it any other way, we are pardners in this deal. There's no your money and my money in this marriage of 45 years.
Yes, but with different bank accounts...His, Hers, Ours and Bills.


No secrets.
I think so.
Yes.
no. we dont and it stops so many fights from possibly occuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment