Wednesday, January 13, 2010

POLL:Do you believe that couples should keep separate bank accounts ? Who controls the money?

Neither controls the money. Once you're married there is no his money or her money. Theirs our money. The couple should work as a team to decide where their money goes and how much of it. They both should agree on a budget and stick to it.POLL:Do you believe that couples should keep separate bank accounts ? Who controls the money?
If the couple is unmarried, I think they should keep separate bank accounts.





Since, it's much harder to get out of a marriage, I think married couples should share a bank account.





In my marriage, no one controls the money. We both purchase what we want, when we want, within reason. Basically, we somehow mutally agreed that anything over $50 needed to be discussed with the other, since we do have times when our money is very tight. However, I do keep track of the checkbook and make sure it balances and that everything gets written down. That's really only because I work at the bank and check the system at any time I like.POLL:Do you believe that couples should keep separate bank accounts ? Who controls the money?
It really depends on the couple. If they aren't comfortable with having all their finances combined, then they should have separate accounts. I do believe if they have joint expenses, they should have a joint account, that way there's equal payment.





I have seen it many different ways, and it's worked well or been really a bad situation, depending on the people.
Only married people should have a joint account.





Single, living together whatever should have a joint account for household bills that both parties contribute a set agreed upon amount each week, month etc. You should maintain your own account until marriage. (I personally would never get married with the current divorce laws)





When married the person who is the tightest with the money should have full control over the money.





A strict budget should be set up in which you save a set amount first and then make the budget. What you are allotted for your weekly or biweekly spending money should be given to you in cash by the tighter spender. The loose spender, impulse buyer, whatever you want to call them in the relationship should not have any access to any money other than the cash at first until they can get their spending under control. In the rare event you are both very mature and controlled spenders this is not necessary.





Any large expense, you make up the amount you consider large together, in my house it is $200 needs to be discussed by both parties and researched.
Yes, I recommend it highly. You will not be writing checks with insufficient funds simply because ';your'; balance isn't up to date. Get two accounts at the same bank so that you can easily transfer money quickly if needed. Decide how you're going to allocate incoming funds each month based on who's responsible for what payments.
Right now my fiance hands be his check and I put it in my account to pay bills, he does not have an account because he ows the IRS. I give him money in moteration has needed, or he will use my debt card.


I think it is strange for couple to have separte accounts, but if it works for them so be it. It sounds like deception to me.
Hi SKYCAT :-)





Its up to the individual couple i think,


Myself me and my hubby have had a share bank account since i was 17 and was saving for our wedding,


we both have cash cards etc and are both able to gain access to funds when ever we wish.








鈾idnight~Angel;
His, Hers and household accounts. The more organized partner should do the bill paying. Both should formulate the budget and have a monthly review.
i have my own money and account i did when i was married i conrol the money in this house i pay the bills, my partner buys all the food
No, I believe this is one of the main reasons divorce is so prevalent today. It just make it too easy to walk away instead of working through.
I agree with some each having their own account, but there should also be a joint account to pay the bills. I want to be in charge of our finances in my relationship.
Marriage = 1


Both should be involved controlling expenses.
I do not. Either one can control the day-to-day stuff. Big stuff decided jointly.
if you are married, then no, you should not have separate bank accounts. the money is shared.
Yes and a joint account.
no, not if your married

No comments:

Post a Comment